Re: [RFC] TL2013 and again a new layout?

Hi Frank, hi Julian,

On Mi, 01 Mai 2013, Frank Küster wrote:
> If there are separately maintained packages, one single tree forces us
> and the separate maintainer to coordinate.

Why? (see below)

> Back then, the reason for the separation was that the TeX system on
> Debian, teTeX, had very slow release cycles.  The idea was to have fast
> developping packages in a separate tree, overriding the older files from
> teTeX. This does not make sense nowadays.

And in addition, is different in TeX Live (see below)

On Mi, 01 Mai 2013, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> standard config, say /usr/share/texmf-debian/ or similar for other
> potential future packages?  But that's probably a silly idea.

Yes.

> At the moment, in testing, there are quite a few packages which put
> files in /usr/share/texmf, including context, tipa, lmodern, feynmf,
> preview-latex-style, writer2latex, noweb, and many more.  I haven't
> been keeping up with texlive (sorry :-( ), so I don't know how this
> would work together with texlive if texlive "takes over"
> /usr/share/texmf.  I'm assuming that, if the files do not exist in
> texlive, that it will not be a problem.

THe do *not* exist in TeX Live, or at least that is the theory.

I have blacklisted *all* packages that are separately maintained,
and don't ship them in the TeX Live packages.

And this should be also the policy.

Of course, if a new package starts to be separately maintained, there
is some action required from our side, ie. a new texlive upload that
does not ship the now separately maintained package. But I guess
this is not happening too often.

All the currently separately maintained packages should *not* conflict
file-wise wiht TeX Live.

Does this explain my idea better?