Re: [RFC] TL2013 and again a new layout?

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Hi
>
>> Perhaps I miss something....  Take the context package as an
>> example.  At the moment it is installed in /usr/share/texmf.
>> If you decide to abandon it as a debian package,
>
> Who said that?
>
> Have you seen context files under the Debian/TL hierarchy?
>
> It will remain as before, if someone wants to maintain a package separately from TL, fine with me.

If there are separately maintained packages, one single tree forces us
and the separate maintainer to coordinate.

Back then, the reason for the separation was that the TeX system on
Debian, teTeX, had very slow release cycles.  The idea was to have fast
developping packages in a separate tree, overriding the older files from
teTeX. This does not make sense nowadays.