Re: [RFC] TL2013 and again a new layout?

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 08:26:19PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> >> Perhaps I miss something....  Take the context package as an
> >> example.  At the moment it is installed in /usr/share/texmf.
> >> If you decide to abandon it as a debian package,
> >
> > Who said that?
> >
> > Have you seen context files under the Debian/TL hierarchy?
> >
> > It will remain as before, if someone wants to maintain a package separately from TL, fine with me.
>
> If there are separately maintained packages, one single tree forces us
> and the separate maintainer to coordinate.
>
> Back then, the reason for the separation was that the TeX system on
> Debian, teTeX, had very slow release cycles.  The idea was to have fast
> developping packages in a separate tree, overriding the older files from
> teTeX. This does not make sense nowadays.

This is true.  There could of course be a second tree available in the
standard config, say /usr/share/texmf-debian/ or similar for other
potential future packages?  But that's probably a silly idea.

At the moment, in testing, there are quite a few packages which put
files in /usr/share/texmf, including context, tipa, lmodern, feynmf,
preview-latex-style, writer2latex, noweb, and many more.  I haven't
been keeping up with texlive (sorry :-( ), so I don't know how this
would work together with texlive if texlive "takes over"
/usr/share/texmf.  I'm assuming that, if the files do not exist in
texlive, that it will not be a problem.

   Julian