Re: auctex and current emacs and current texlive

Hi Davide,

thanks for your answer.

On Do, 15 Nov 2012, Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> emacs24 is not in wheezy, AFAIK.  I think people using unstable should
> have no problem adapting the Debian AUCTeX package to emacs24: basically

I don't think this is the right way of thinking. I think it is better
to package things for sid, otherwise you will always be hit by being
late.
But of course this is up to your decision.

> it, of course.  I do not deem it critical, and I do not think the
> current state WRT emacs24 is disappointing; I think this is just a

As soon as nobody changes the main emacs version to 24, so that
emacs -> emacs24.

> NP> * TeX Live 2012 doe snot trigger anything (tl2012 is in wheezy!)
>
> I think this is just a matter of paths, as #681481 documents; your diff
> says the same, I see.  WRT to this since tl2012 is in wheezy I agree

Since quite some time now ...

> I plan to upload in a week or so, or maybe some days, depending on my
> payed workload and available free time.

Thanks for that.

> NP> I have prepared a NMU for some of the issues, collectiong what is
> NP> in the BTS:
> NP> * make update-auctex-elisp expand emacsen names correctly (Closes: #675752)
> NP> patch thanks to Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il>

Should be fixed, too.

> NP> * fix trigger iteration and quoting (Closes: #686366)
> NP> patch by Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz>

That is completely wrong in your scripts, you better fix that, too.
The second argument is a *list of triggers* like
	"trigger1 trigger2 trigger3"
thus your shift does nothing to them. Plus the quoting is wrong.

> NP> is your repository somewhere available?
>
> No, at this moment it is not public.  This might change in the future,
> but I do not plan to make it happen in the next few weeks.

Then I would suggest not to include the git commits in the changelog.
They do *not* serve any purpose for the intended audience. Nobody
can use them to check out fixes for backporting, use them in any
other way. THey just clutter the changelog.

> NP> Are you willing to share the development work with others? We could

> At this moment I'd prefer not to follow this route, thanks.  You can

Ok, fine with me.

> still provide fixes the way you did, Debian AUCTeX packaging is not a
> very complex project.

See above ...

Best wishes, and thanks for your work on that

KALAMI (n.)
The ancient Eastern art of being able to fold road-maps properly.