Re: auctex and current emacs and current texlive

Dear Norbert,

NP> Dear Davide,
NP> I have taken a look at the auctex packages and the bugs and
NP> existing patches, and wanted to ask you what are your plans
NP> concerning AucTeX? The current status is quite disappointing:
NP> * emacs 24 is not supported (in unstable since long, but AFAIS not
NP>   in wheezy)

emacs24 is not in wheezy, AFAIK.  I think people using unstable should
have no problem adapting the Debian AUCTeX package to emacs24: basically
it's just a matter of adding "emacs24" wherever you see "emacs23" in
(all of) the sources, as you did in your diff.  Then you have to test
it, of course.  I do not deem it critical, and I do not think the
current state WRT emacs24 is disappointing; I think this is just a
(good) wishlist (YMMV).

NP> * TeX Live 2012 doe snot trigger anything (tl2012 is in wheezy!)

I think this is just a matter of paths, as #681481 documents; your diff
says the same, I see.  WRT to this since tl2012 is in wheezy I agree
with you: the current status is disappointing.  Therefore I'm glad that
you tested it and are telling me that the patch works as intended: I
will check it by my self and add it.

I plan to upload in a week or so, or maybe some days, depending on my
payed workload and available free time.

NP> I have prepared a NMU for some of the issues, collectiong what is
NP> in the BTS:
NP> * make update-auctex-elisp expand emacsen names correctly (Closes: #675752)
NP> patch thanks to Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il>
NP> * allow building and running with emacs24 (Closes: #682720, #679712)
NP> patch by Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz>
NP> * fix trigger iteration and quoting (Closes: #686366)
NP> patch by Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz>
NP> * update triggers for TeX Live >= 2012 (Closes: #681481)

NP> The full debdiff is attached. I still call it 10.2~1 as I want some
NP> feedback from you or others.

Thanks!

NP> From the changelog it seems that you are using git,

Yes it is.

NP> is your repository somewhere available?

No, at this moment it is not public.  This might change in the future,
but I do not plan to make it happen in the next few weeks.

NP> Are you willing to share the development work with others? We could
NP> take it into the Debian TeX Group, and add you there. This would
NP> mean you could further contribute, but we can also provide fixes if
NP> necessary.

At this moment I'd prefer not to follow this route, thanks.  You can
still provide fixes the way you did, Debian AUCTeX packaging is not a
very complex project.

--
Thanks, Davide