Re: scalable-cyrfonts and font naming

On Sat, 5 May 2012 21:24:57 GMT Karl Berry wrote:

[...]
>     Is there any alternative TeX font package with good Cyrillic coverage?
>
> There have been Cyrillic fonts in TeX for decades.  wncy* (Washington
> Cyrillic) was one of the first (http://ctan.org/pkg/wncyr).  The LH
> fonts by Olga Lapko are extensive (http://ctan.org/pkg/lh).  Some of the
> newer OpenType/Unicode fonts have Cyrillic, e.g., GNU freefont.  There
> are others.  Whether any of them have "good coverage" or suit what you
> want to do, I cannot say.
>
> I don't know if there are Cyrillic-specific TeX mailing lists; if not, I
> would guess that posting on texhax@tug.org would be the best place to
> have the discussion.

Hello Karl,
thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful reply.

Now I am trying to figure out how I can obtain Cyrillic text with
vector (Type 1) fonts, when using utf8x inputenc (without using
scalable-cyrfonts-tex). The attached test file produces a PDF file
with Type 3 bitmap fonts, when compiled with pdflatex...
Any hint would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!
% Copyright (c) 2012 Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org>
%
% Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
% a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
% "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
% without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
% distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
% permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
% the following conditions:
%
% The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
% in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
%
% THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
% EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
% MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
% IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
% CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
% TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
% SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\pagestyle{empty}

\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[russian,american]{babel}

\begin{document}

\section{Ð?оÑ?ква Ñ?Ñ?олиÑ?а}
РоÑ?Ñ?иÑ? \selectlanguage{american}(Russia)\selectlanguage{russian} \ldots

\end{document}