Re: scalable-cyrfonts and font naming

    Isn't there any way to actually fix this bug and allow the coexistence
    of scalable-cyrfonts-tex and texlive-fonts-extra?

The cyrfonts filenames would have to be changed.  Whether doing that
would be worse than the current conflict is not my call.

    Is there any alternative TeX font package with good Cyrillic coverage?

There have been Cyrillic fonts in TeX for decades.  wncy* (Washington
Cyrillic) was one of the first (http://ctan.org/pkg/wncyr).  The LH
fonts by Olga Lapko are extensive (http://ctan.org/pkg/lh).  Some of the
newer OpenType/Unicode fonts have Cyrillic, e.g., GNU freefont.  There
are others.  Whether any of them have "good coverage" or suit what you
want to do, I cannot say.

I don't know if there are Cyrillic-specific TeX mailing lists; if not, I
would guess that posting on texhax@tug.org would be the best place to
have the discussion.

Hope this helps somehow,
karl