Re: scalable-cyrfonts and font naming

severity 593448 important
thanks

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:48:06 +0900 Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Karl, hi Anton,

Hi everyone.
I am a Debian user (and contributor, but not in the area of TeX or of
fonts...).
It seems to me that the new texlive-* package versions have just
migrated into testing, and I cannot upgrade my Debian testing boxes to
them, since I have both scalable-cyrfonts-tex and texlive-fonts-extra
installed...

I think this bug is at least of severity important, since it means that
one has to do without texlive-fonts-extra, if he/she needs
scalable-cyrfonts-tex!

[...]
> On Sa, 17 Mär 2012, Karl Berry wrote:
[...]
> > I see no magic bullet here.  We can't create a conflict.  So either the
> > fpl and fnc authors change their names, the cyrfonts authors change
> > their names, or we omit at least those two cyrfonts from TL.  Right?
>
> These cyrfonts are *NOT* in TeX Live at all, neither in upstream nor
> in Debian TeX Live. It is a separate package in Debian.
>
> > I have no way of knowing how widely used the TeX fpl and fnc are, but I
> > expect they have been used in *some* documents.  Therefore I would feel
> > bad about renaming them.  Since they have been in TL for some years, I
> > feel they should have priority on the names ...
>
> I agree that since the other fpl/fnc fonts are in TL since long time,
> we will not change there names.
>
> So we simply leave this bug open, and I will probably add a conflict
> against scalable-cyrfonts-tex as it breaks behaviour of the tex system.

Isn't there any way to actually fix this bug and allow the coexistence
of scalable-cyrfonts-tex and texlive-fonts-extra?
Should I really remove one of these two packages, in order to be able
to upgrade my systems?
This would be very unfortunate...

Is there any alternative TeX font package with good Cyrillic coverage?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!