Re: removal of texconfig from Debian packages

Hi you two, and all,

On Di, 22 Mai 2012, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:
> I agree with Julian: the second option seems like the most fool-proof way.

additions/corrections/improvements to the following text are welcome:

-----------------
The original texconfig is not shipped on Debian due to the way
texconfig handled config files. Furthermore it is not necessary
on Debian to use texconfig.

Following is a list of how to achieve the same things as with
texconfig, but the Debian way:

conf
	not needed

dvipdfm paper
	use paperconf

dvips add PRINTERNAME
	touch /etc/texmf/dvips/config/config.PRINTERNAME

dvips del PRINTERNAME
	not supported, you should not remove printers that you
	haven't created, or that are shipped by Debian

dvips mode
	not supported

dvips [-P PRINTER] mode MODE
dvips [-P PRINTER] offset x-OFFSET,y-OFFSET
dvips [-P PRINTER] printcmd CMD
	make a copy of /usr/share/texlive/texmf/dvips/config/config.PRINTER
	in /etc/texmf/dvips/config/ and edit the file
	(but that should not be necessary)

faq
	not needed

font vardir DIR, font ro, font rw
	please read section 2.5, font caching, in the TeX-on-Debian
	documentation in /usr/share/doc/tex-common/.

formats
hyphen FORMAT
	Should not be used on Debian, see TeX-on-Debian, update-fmtutil
	for details.

init [format]
	Run
		fmtutil-sys --all
	or
		fmtutil-sys --byfmt format

mode-list
	not supported

mode MODE
	edit /etc/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf

paper [a4|letter]
pdftex paper [a4|letter]
xdvi paper PAPER
	use paperconf

rehash
	call mktexlsr

Another world, another day, another dawn.