Re: removal of texconfig from Debian packages

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:16:50AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am contemplating to remove texconfig *completely* from Debian.
> It changes config files in a non-standard way, is incompatible with
> changes we are making, and does not profide any additional value.
>
> Please let me know what you thing:
> * remove completely
> * provide a wrapper saying: "Cannot be used on Debian!"
> * keep (but give big warning: you will mess up your tex system!)

I would prefer the "wrapper" idea (that is, a replacement script which
just says "Cannot be used on Debian", ideally with guidance as to how
to perform the texconfig functions in a Debian-specific way, and then
"exit 1" at the end); otherwise, you'll get lots of people saying
"where's texconfig?".

   Julian