Re: About TexLive 2008

Short before leaving ...

On Fr, 17 Apr 2009, Frank Küster wrote:
> If TL 2009 will be released before March 2010, which it will even in the

Definitely ...

> Norbert, could you please summarize which changes are planned from TL
> 2008 to 2009? Or is there already some web page describing this?

No serious changes, so all the work done for TL2008 already will work
(cum grano salis) for 2009. Only the change from lzma to xz (irrelevant
for us), some perl module clean up, some package reorganization, and a
vastly improved build system.

> On the other hand, one can always install single packages into
> /usr/local/texmf/. It would be nice if there was a tool to help local
> admins in doing this.
>
> Could tlmgr, in principle, be adapted for this purpose?

In principle yes. Many people have already asked that. I know that it is
possible (I have written tlmgr), but to be honest, I am not sure if *I*
will have time to program that feature!!! That is no piece of cake, and
currently I am already quite overloaded with TL upstream/tlmgr, Debian
packages.

Especially since, and that is real news, from October on I will have a
bit less time, probably, since I will move to Japan for work. So if
nobody else steps up and starts reading code as I did with the Tpm.pm
long time ago, then it will not happen.

DOCKERY (n.)
Facetious behaviour adopted by an accused man in the mistaken belief
that this will endear him to the judge.