Re: About TexLive 2008

> To be honest, I am not sure if we will package 2008 at all, and not
> switch over to TL2009 immediately, since the release of that will be
> around summer, and there will be a vastly improved build system which
> will help us, and many things made cleaner. Well, just thinking loudly.

Although I'm currently only an e-mail writing "maintainer" and not a
coding maintainer, I wholeheartedly support this idea. We've made the
same mistake with teTeX 3.0 which didn't get into sarge (or what was it)
just because I didn't dare to upload the pre-release versions to
unstable - but the only fixes afterwards where minor LaTeX package
updates, and the fixes needed for compilation on non-standard platforms
(which would easily get through the release-teams controls if they
affected Debian architectures).

If TL 2009 will be released before March 2010, which it will even in the
worst case, then all sides will profit if we prepare 2009 packages
instead of 2008:

- unstable and later testing users get more recent LaTeX packages

- we have time for thorough testing of new upstream features and making
  our Debian adaptions

- we can feed back our results, problems and solution proposals to
  upstream.

Norbert, could you please summarize which changes are planned from TL
2008 to 2009? Or is there already some web page describing this?

> AFAIS there is no place in tlmgr in normal Debian.

But see below...

>> since I use latex also on my netbook, where disk space is quite
>> limited, I sometimes find it problematic to have to install tens of
>> megabytes of packages just to have a font or so. To be clear, I think
>
> That will not change. You can de-select the -doc packages in tight
> disk-space circumstances, that will save you loads, but other than that
> we will not support single TeX package installations.

On the other hand, one can always install single packages into
/usr/local/texmf/. It would be nice if there was a tool to help local
admins in doing this.

Could tlmgr, in principle, be adapted for this purpose?

Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg