Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

Hi all,

Ok, I have new packages available which do:
- support triggers, if a file is dropped into /usr/share/info then
  the trigger action of install-info postinst is called. That is
  nothing else but calling
	update-info-dir

- the wrapper install-info is now trivial:
	ginstall-info --dir-file /usr/share/info/dir "$@"
  that is not bullet proof, but the old wrapper is not needed because
  ginstall-info now support most options.

  Here we need someone that tries to install all packages providing
  info files ;-)

- install-info is installed in /usr/sbin and the package carries a
  Replaces: dpkg (<= 1.14.25) which is current unstable version

I tested it in a chroot and it works. Of course we still have that
packages call install-info "by hand" in addition to the update-info-dir
called by the triggered action. But that will be fixed by debhelper
dh_installinfo.

The update-info-dir is currently also *extremly* dead simple, maybe one
of you can provide/suggest a better approach. Anyway, it is working for
immediate testing:
---- update-info-dir ----
mv /usr/share/info/dir /usr/share/info/dir.old
for i in `find /usr/share/info -name \*.info.gz -or -name \*.info` ; do
  ginstall-info $i /usr/share/info/dir
done
-----------------------

Packages for amd64 and src package are, version 4.13a.dfsg.1-2~exp03

 	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ i-i/
 	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ i-i/

and a dget of
	 http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/i-i/texinfo_4.13a.dfsg.1-2~exp03.dsc
will get you the latest version

`What's been happening here?' he demanded.
`Oh just the nicest things, sir, just the nicest things.
can I sit on your lap please?'
`Colin, I am going to abandon you to your fate.'
`I'm so happy.'
`It will be very, very nasty for you, and that's just too
bad. Got it?'
`I gurgle with pleasure.'
                 --- Ford and Colin the robot.