Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Given that we have other info viewers, that seems better than bundling
> > it in the info or texinfo packages.
>
> Right. It would still be build from the same source package texinfo, but
> a separate binary package.
>
> Here immediately some questions: I can start preparing a separate
> install-info bin package for experimental, but
> - should we install GNU install-info into /usr/bin where there is
>   ginstall-info ATM, or into /usr/sbin, where there is dpkg ii?
>   I would suggest /usr/bin.

Ok, here is a package, crude, nothing tested, but it is there:
	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ i-i/
	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ i-i/

or dget
http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/i-i/texinfo_4.13a.dfsg.1-2~exp01.dsc

It does:
- split install-info package off
- make info depend on install-info
- still ship ginstall-info
- ship install-info shell script from Nicolas
- does not conflict with dpkg in any way, that way one can install it
  already now

Is that fine?
	Package: install-info
	Section: base

Thanks for taking a look

CORFE (n.)
An object which is almost totally indistinguishable from a newspaper,
the one crucial difference being tat it belongs to somebody else and
is unaccountably much more interesting that your own - which may
otherwise appear to be in all respects identical. Though it is a rule
of life that a train or other public place may contain any number of
corfes but only one newspaper, it is quite possible to transform your
own perfectly ordinary newspaper into a corfe by the simple expedient
of letting somebody else read it.