Re: Available papersizes vs. default papersizes

On 2008-08-03 18:44, Frank Küster wrote:
> I would like to solve a long-standing bug and finally make TeX aware
> of libpaper and its system-wide paper size setting.

Good!

> However, taking the intersection of paper sizes the different
> program's configuration files accept as default, I end up with
> a4paper and letter.

From Wikipedia [1] it appears that ISO-A and the north American system
are the only widespread systems around the world:
"By 1977 A4 was the standard letter format in 88 of 148 countries, and
today only the U.S. and Canada have not adopted the system. "

I guess, that a default respecting A4 and letter is already a nice
improvement. Additionally you might consider including A3, A5 and legal,
though I don't expect there will be much demand for it. Those with these
requirements will rather likely have the skills to adjust it themselves.

> On the upstream list, the discussion which papers would make sense as
> a system-wide default paper did not lead anywhere. Some said that
> only a4paper and letter make sense (my question whether asian or
> african countries use nothing else stayed unanswered).

If no one steps in to promote different, more exotic formats, I guess
these could be left to bug reports. Actually, I don't think there will
be any significant demand for other formats as a default *system* paper
size [2].

> Some argued that every paper which can be fed to a printer on the
> market might be used as default size on a particular system.

If you'd like to use a different default, how difficult is the
implementation for the user/administrator of the box in question?

> Do you have any suggestions?

I forwarded your question to d-u. Maybe some 'users' over there have
some suggestions of what they use/require... [3]

Cheers,
Johannes

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

[2] I've done a quick survey on some colleagues from China and Egypt and
they confirm that they've never seen a printer's paper size different
from A4 or letter in their home countries, while letter is rather rare
in Egypt and absent in China.

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/08/msg00229.html