Re: Installing xetex from SVN alongside texlive_2007-14

Norbert Preining wrote:

If you only need a new xetex binary, just compile one and put it into
/usr/bin/xetex (keeping a backup of the old one).

It should find the /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf file and work from
that on completely normal.

Then there are updates to the packages, you should preferably put into
TEXMFLOCAL

Thank you.

I have these additional questions:

1. I have dvipdfmx_1:20071115-1 installed now, which gives xdvipdfmx 0.6. IIRC, the new xdvipdfmx is version 0.7 and could fix the trouble I have cropping the PDFs generated by my existing setup using pdfcrop. If I decide to, where should I install the new dvipdfmx/xdvipdfmx files? Can they be drop-in replacements as with xetex?

2. As I understand it, the packages in

TRUNK/texmf/tex/xelatex

can simply be moved intact to

TEXMFLOCAL/tex/xelatex

But what do I do with the .cfg files in TRUNK/texmf/tex/xelatex? Some config files like geometry.cfg have been modified as recently as March 2008. Where do I put these config files? Can they be drop-in replacements as well?

3. Can I ignore the .map and associated font-related files altogether?

Thanks.

Chandra
24 May 08