Re: ArabTeX package

Hi all!

On Di, 09 Okt 2007, aelmahmoudy@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > Is the up-to-date version on CTAN? If yes, then it will be in the next
> > texlive release. If not, please nug upstream to upload it. ;-) BTW, if
> > arabtex is changing a lot, then a separate package might make sense.
> Yes the latest tex312.tgz is on:
> http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/arabic/arabtex/

A good, but there is a big problem: This is all a HUGE mess, the whole
arabtex directory on CTAN. The unpacked files are 3.11d, the tex312.tgz
contains many files, mostly tex input files, but no readme and no
explanation. Especially, there are MANY NEW files in tex312.tgz which
haven't been around before.

I wanted to update the upstream texlive setup of arabtex, but stopped
since I wasn't sure that I will not mess up everything.

So one question: Can you please check what is necessary to integrate
this tex312.tgz into the current texlive (which is in this respect the
same as the Debian texlive package)?

Are those new files supposed to be just put into tex/latex/arabtex/, are
there other files to be removed? Note that the tex312.tgz does NOT
contain some files which were present in 3.11d, so I don't know whether
these files can be deleted or should stay. Again, a total mess ...

Thanks a lot for that!!!

> > > ! LaTeX Error: File `pst-char.sty' not found.

This has already been handled AFAIS.

On Di, 09 Okt 2007, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> Arabiftoday.sty does not exist, but we do have arabiftoday.sty. Looks
> like the developer of arabi works on a Windows machine and does not
> know about case sensitve file systems. :-( Who wants to get in touch
> with him?

Grmm how can people ignore this nowadays ...

> > mktextfm TraditionalArabic
> > mktextfm andlso
> >

> Here we have to issues: Upstream actually contains
> traditionalarabic.tfm, not TraditionalArabic.tfm. However, this file
> is not installed with Debian (don't know about TeX Live proper),

The tfm files are on the CTAN server but not in TeX Live upstream. No
idea how to proceed with this.

But generally I don't like to ship tfm files without the corresponding
fonts, although someone might ship a dvi file to a company actually
having the fonts.

Thanks a lotto everyone for trying to improve the arabic support in TeX
Live (speaking as upstream here ...)

BLITTERLESS
The little slivers of bamboo picked off a cane chair by a nervous
guest which litter the carpet beneath and tell the chair's owner that
the whole piece of furniture is about to uncoil terribly and slowly
until it resembles a giant pencil sharpening.