Re: RFC: removal of texmf-tetex in tex-common

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 16:16 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Furthermore I have changed TEXMFCNF a bit, it was:
> 	$TETEXDIR;/usr/share/texmf/web2c;/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c
> and I have changed it to:
> 	/var/lib/texmf/web2c;/u/s/t/web2c;/u/l/s/t/web2c

I am not convinced that this is a good idea. Personally I consider it
an artifact that kpsewhich uses TEXMFCNF for looking for files like
fmtutil.cnf. After all TEXMFCNF is special since the value specified
in texmf.cnf is irrelevant for it main purpose: Specifying the path
used for searching for texmf.cnf.

> Idea: we can ask people to call
> 	kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
> etc.

What for? fmtutil etc do not search for their configuration files like
this. They use something like this

      kpsewhich -format="web2c files" fmtutil.cnf

which uses WEB2C and not TEXMFCNF. It is quite easy to have different
files found first on these different paths, as long as the paths are
not identical, hence it is not reliable when debugging.

cheerio
ralf