Re: More fine-grained control in texlive?

Hi all,

On Fre, 29 Jun 2007, Rogério Brito wrote:
> You make the packages as mirroring the upstream divisions? The projects
> may have conflicting goals, of course (but you have managed to do a

I would say that we have the same goals, making a useful split of the
packages. So we (=upstream hat) are open to suggestions.

> I hope that the Debian experiences (as well as other distributions)
> contribute in a positive way to TeX Live as a whole.

As you see, I am a main developer of TeX Live, and Frank is contributing
steadily, and we are feeding back many of our ideas, and many of the
things changed upstream were initiated by us. So yes, there is a very
good cooperation. Probably also because we were the first one to
packages texlive for a redistributor.

> > For the doc stuff: No, we will NOT split the documentation from the
>
> Owww... :-(

Well, see other email. We have to discuss this.

> Here, I think that something fine-grained like MikTeX would be nice to
> have...

Then you should take a look at TeX Live as distributed upstream. With
the new installer (hopefully to be written) one can select packages on a
single package level. And updates over the network should work, updates
of single packages.

We even discussed this for Debian, but introducing about 2000 new binary
packages was out of discussion!!!

> But I have one suggestion here: mirroring what is done for tl-latex-*,
> what if we had, always (when applicable), -base, -recommended, and
> -extra?  For tl-latex-*, we already have this now and it would be nice
> to have it.

As said, come up with a reasonable proposal which packages should be
included in which collections, and pose it on the TeX Live ML. This is
the way to go. I will not disgress that far from upstream.

If it is your wish, write a nice proposal, rational, explanation, what
packages should be moved where and why. Send all there. NOW is the time
to do this before TL2008!!!

> Hah. I appreciate the joke, but the computer science that I do has much
> more in common with Mathematics than with Engineering. :-) Especially
> when we are talking about computational complexity or Galois Theory. :-)

I am myself in computer science / mathematical logic, no need to tell
me!

> Oh, BTW, I just updated algorithms (I converted it to .dtx and .ins and
> will upload to CTAN in one or two weeks, but I would like it to be
> peer-reviewed first).
>
> Can it be included in texlive for Debian?

Didn't you want to package it separately for Debian? In general we don't
do any single package updates because it is easy to drop the file into
TEXMFLOCAL and introducing a newer version might generate
incompatibilities with other packages in texlive. Sometimes we include
updated stuff, but doing all this is not our job, we (Karl and me) have
enough to do covering all the updates on CTAN and getting them into TeX
Live proper.

BTW, we never include something which is NOT in CTAN (well mostly).

> Sorry, in fonts-extra. I would appreciate if you could discuss this with
> other upstream members. (Sorry for the constant confusion with the names

Sorry no, I have too many things to do, the new infrastructure for TeX
Live was a huge piece of work, and I have to think already now how to
adapt this for Debian packaging, and about a new installer, etc etc. So
these things are not on my table. Do it yourself, all the people at the
TeX Live ML are friendly guys, I know most of them in person ;-)

> Ok. I see. I would prefer my contributions to last a bit longer than
> TL2007, as it will possibly not ship with lenny (if I understood
> correctly some earlier messages).

You can take a look at the SVN repository for the tex catalogue
(svn://comedy.dante.de/home/ctan/texcatalogue_svn), fix the descriptions
yourself in the xml files, and send me the output of
	svn diff
and I review them and check them in.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea if we had fonts-base for the *required*
> fonts?

Well, the question is what to put then into the -recommended. Again, we
(upstream) are WIDE open for good proposals.

> Heh. I was talking about eulervm because it seems to be the preferred
> solution for mathematics fonts. I feel that a disclaimer here is
> desired: I never used eulervm and always use the combo beton/euler.

Hmm, I prefer lucida fonts.

NETHER POPPLETON (n. obs.)
A pair of P.J.Proby's trousers.