Re: SVN texlive (new) commit: r3026 - in texlive-new/trunk: . all/debian texlive-base/debian texlive-bin/debian

> On Son, 12 Aug 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
>> >    case $1 in
>> >       upgrade)
>>
>> Hm, what about the case when a user has installed and removed the
>> package and now installs starting from status "rc"?
>
> Then we cannot do anything but putting the same code in addition into
> the postinst ...
>
> Or do you mean that in "rc" state and new installed the script is called
> with "upgrade"? AFAI understand/remember in this case the preinst script
> is also called with "install" (no policy at hand to check).

Yes, I think it's called with "install $previous_version".

Since we want to resurrect conffiles from files in /usr/share/, either
we ignore the case of install from "rc", or we repeat it in postinst
(possibly only in this case).

What happens if

- we have texlive in state rc and tetex-base in "purged" with deleted
  texlive conffiles

- we install texlive, which fails in postinst since the preinst cannot
  resurrect.

- we call "dpkg --configure -a" again: Will it call the preinst again?
  I fear not.  But "apt-get --reinstall install texlive-*" would do, and
  we could try to tell people to do that in README.Debian.  Or in a
  debconf note.

  Now the question is:  What is better,

  a) leave people to README.Debian (it hits quite a lot of only
     medium-experienced people)
  b) add a debconf note (a shared one for all packages), with need to
     translate, in case the postinst finds these files missing

  c) add the code to postinst, too.

I don't think b) looks very promising...

Frank Küster