Re: idempotency and modularity of tpm2deb-bin.pl

Hallo Ingrid,

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> - make_maintainer still uses global variables (@configfiles) which are
>   only set in make_deb; this could be worked around

I've a fixed version on my disk where @configfiles is handled
separately.

> - my change wasn't really necessary.  I assumed that make_deb is not
>   idempotent, i.e. it would give an error if executed twice, but that
>   doesn't happen.
>
>   This puzzles me, and makes me feel uncomfortable.

I understand that now.

>    make_deb does
>   things like move files from TEXMFDIST to TEXMFSYSCONFIG, and this
>   shouldn't be possible twice.  In my case it's nice that I can still
>   regenerate maintainer scripts by calling tpm2deb-bin.pl over and
>   over.  But we will probably also miss if a file in TEXMFDIST is
>   missing.

No, maybe not. The point is that make_deb does (later in the function)
also the copying from the source tree to debian/<packagename>/whatever,
and it simply skips this step if a file has been copied to a new
place[1].  If it is reexecuted, I think the file is copied to the same
place again.  But again, this should give an error if the destination is
already present?

Regards, Frank

[1] this also answers the question in an other mail I have written but
is still somewhere in my local spool