idempotency and modularity of tpm2deb-bin.pl (was: SVN texlive (new) commit: r2570 - texlive-new/trunk/all/debian)

Frank Küster <frank@alioth.debian.org> wrote:

> Author: frank
> Date: 2007-03-12 16:50:28 +0000 (Mon, 12 Mar 2007)
> New Revision: 2570
>
> Modified:
>    texlive-new/trunk/all/debian/tpm2deb-bin.pl
> Log:
> allow to call make_maintainer without doing the rest of make_deb, for
> maintscript debugging

Hm, this didn't work as expected:

- make_maintainer still uses global variables (@configfiles) which are
  only set in make_deb; this could be worked around

- my change wasn't really necessary.  I assumed that make_deb is not
  idempotent, i.e. it would give an error if executed twice, but that
  doesn't happen.

  This puzzles me, and makes me feel uncomfortable.  make_deb does
  things like move files from TEXMFDIST to TEXMFSYSCONFIG, and this
  shouldn't be possible twice.  In my case it's nice that I can still
  regenerate maintainer scripts by calling tpm2deb-bin.pl over and
  over.  But we will probably also miss if a file in TEXMFDIST is
  missing.

  I haven't analysed yet what's going on (I think it must be in the
  function do_remap_and_copy), but I think we should not forget this.