Re: dh_installtex usage by texlive

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frank K=FCster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> However, I am not sure that this isn't too liberal: It won't give an
>> error even when fmtutil-sys is present, but fails.  On the other hand,
>> either the package that uses "allformats" is removed, then it doesn't
>> matter. Or [...]
>
> I'm not sure it doesn't matter (I mean, in the general case, maybe not
> for tl-base-bin). What is the reason for calling "dhit_build_format
> --all" in postrm in the first place?

I'm not sure (see how all these paragraphs start with the same phrase?
I guess we need better documentation of our maintscript snippets)
whether I know all reasons for this, but one is that if a package that
provides hyphenation patterns is removed, we want the format to be
recreated without these patterns.

If that were the only reason, though, we could add that code only when
dh_installtex knows about hyphenation patterns.

> One clear reason is hyphenation patterns, I guess. If the package being
> removed ships hyphenation patterns, we want to rebuild the formats
> without those patterns. Therefore, if this rebuild fails, it may leave
> formats belonging to other packages unusable.

Yes, but that won't have "allformats" in #WHATTODO#, but "language".
This part still uses dhit_build_format.

> Another reason would be if the package ships a texmf.cnf snippet that
> enlarges TeX, or something like that. Same consequences.

And that would have to use "allformats".  However, such a package would
not conform to our TeX policy:

,----
| Packages are free to add configuration items to the common
| configuration files, but they should not try to override configuration
| items that are supplied by other packages. Rather, shared
| configuration items should be supplied by the Basic TeX packages or
| any other package on which all involved packages depend, with a
| setting appropriate for all. [...]
`----

(I'm inclined to change that into a "must not".)

> Or maybe we need a special
> dh_installtex option for special-casing the removal of tl-base-bin...

Any even more ugly solutions, anyone? ;-)