Re: tex-guy: diff file for future NMU/QA upload - reviews are welcome

Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Package: tex-guy
>>> Version: 1.2.4-6
>>> Severity: wishlist
>>> Tags: patch
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've prepared a QA upload for tex-guy. I'll be happy to get reviews before
>>> uploading it.
>>
>> No comments, but something additional:  I've just submitted two
>> important bugs against tex-guy which might be worth looking at.
>
> Could you help with #409175? I'm not sure about the LaTex related
> dependencies.

I'd rather have such questions asked on the debian-tex-maint list, as
indicated in my bug report.  I'm not sure about the minimal
requirements.  It seems to me as of the library itself doesn't need any
non-${shlibs:Depends}-Dependency at all.

So it's tex-guy and the viewers which really need a dependency.

For tex-guy I've made some tests, but I'm not completely sure about the
results, in particular since dvi2html doesn't seem to work at all even
with tetex-extra, and I cannot test the converters for printers I do not
own.  But I tried dvi2bdps, dvi2img, dvi2pgm, dvifontlist, dvipages, and
dvispecials (a cool tool, btw), and they work with texlive-base
installed.

So it should be

Depends: texlive-base | tetex-extra

As for the viewers, they probably need the same, but it's hard to test
them:  I don't manage to give my pbuilder chroots X access, and
installing one of the viewers on a working texlive-based system is hard
- and on my sarge+teTeX-backports system xgdvi segfaults with
non-minimal dvi files, so I gave up.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to keep tex-guy at all.
The popcon data don't give much support for these packages, they're
unmaintained, probably also upstream.  The converters in tex-guy aren't
really needed very much: imagemagick's convert can do the same.  The
only interesting thing, in my view, is dvispecials - I haven't looked at
the code, but maybe the same thing can be done without dvilib2.  And no
other package depends on dvilib2, at least not in main.