Meta-package to replace tetex-extra (was: lenny release goals and the tetex->texlive transition)

"Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> The following ought to be useful to answer these questions:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/tetex-to-texlive-mapping/

Okay, so now for the second part: How to build a meta-package to replace
tetex-extra.  I do not think it makes much sense to do this in an effort
to provide individual (La)TeX users with a smooth upgrade - instead I
focus on *packages* that depend or build-depend on tetex-extra.

The following mail describes my reasoning, the actual result is at
"RESULT"

http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/tetex-to-texlive-mapping/tetex-extra_3.0.dfsg.3-1_all.txt

says

Brief dependency listing by TeXLive package

This lists the number of files in tetex-extra_3.0.dfsg.3-1_all
(excluding READMEs and files in /usr/share/doc) found in each TeXLive package

   1055 texlive-fonts-recommended
    360 texlive-base
    335 texlive-fonts-extra
    322 texlive-omega
    295 texlive-latex-recommended
    235 texlive-latex-base
    219 texlive-latex-extra
    169 MISSING-IN-TEXLIVE
    146 texlive-pictures
    116 texlive-lang-cyrillic
     66 texlive-pstricks
     58 texlive-lang-polish
     57 texlive-math-extra
     50 texlive-font-utils
     41 texlive-bibtex-extra
     31 texlive-lang-vietnamese
     29 texlive-context
     20 texlive-metapost
     17 texlive-lang-tibetan
     13 texlive-lang-german
     11 texlive-pdfetex
     10 texlive-lang-czechslovak
      9 texlive-publishers
      3 texlive-formats-extra
      2 texlive-lang-african
      1 texlive-latex3
      1 texlive-lang-greek
      1 texlive-lang-french
      1 texlive-games
      1 texlive-base-bin
      1 bsdutils

Among these packages, texlive = tetex-bin-meta already covers

   1055 texlive-fonts-recommended
    360 texlive-base
    295 texlive-latex-recommended
    235 texlive-latex-base
     29 texlive-context
     20 texlive-metapost
     11 texlive-pdfetex

and I think also
      1 texlive-base-bin
although I missed the connection.

So the missing packages are

    335 texlive-fonts-extra
    322 texlive-omega
    219 texlive-latex-extra
    169 MISSING-IN-TEXLIVE
    146 texlive-pictures
    116 texlive-lang-cyrillic
     66 texlive-pstricks
     58 texlive-lang-polish
     57 texlive-math-extra
     50 texlive-font-utils
     41 texlive-bibtex-extra
     31 texlive-lang-vietnamese
     17 texlive-lang-tibetan
     13 texlive-lang-german
     10 texlive-lang-czechslovak
      9 texlive-publishers
      3 texlive-formats-extra
      2 texlive-lang-african
      1 texlive-latex3
      1 texlive-lang-greek
      1 texlive-lang-french
      1 texlive-games
      1 bsdutils

Among these, I assume that a couple are never used by packages that
Build-Depend on tetex-extra and rarely by ordinary depends:

    322 texlive-omega
      9 texlive-publishers
      3 texlive-formats-extra
      1 texlive-latex3
      1 texlive-games
      1 bsdutils

That leaves us with

    335 texlive-fonts-extra
    219 texlive-latex-extra
    169 MISSING-IN-TEXLIVE
    146 texlive-pictures
    116 texlive-lang-cyrillic
     66 texlive-pstricks
     58 texlive-lang-polish
     57 texlive-math-extra
     50 texlive-font-utils
     41 texlive-bibtex-extra
     31 texlive-lang-vietnamese
     17 texlive-lang-tibetan
     13 texlive-lang-german
     10 texlive-lang-czechslovak
      9 texlive-publishers
      2 texlive-lang-african
      1 texlive-latex3
      1 texlive-lang-greek
      1 texlive-lang-french

Among these, the *-lang-* packages do *not* provide the hyphenation
patterns.  This means that they are only probably only used if the
depending package has a specific connection to that language.  I think,
therefore, that we can leave them out, with a due warning in the
description as well as the web page that describes the mapping.  I'm not
sure about lang-cyrillic, though.  And one file from latex3 also doesn't
warrant inclusion

So we'd have

    335 texlive-fonts-extra
    219 texlive-latex-extra
    146 texlive-pictures
    116 texlive-lang-cyrillic
     66 texlive-pstricks
     57 texlive-math-extra
     50 texlive-font-utils
     41 texlive-bibtex-extra
      9 texlive-publishers

   (116 texlive-lang-cyrillic)

RESULT:
Depends: texlive-latex-extra, texlive-math-extra, texlive-bibtex-extra, \
         texlive-fonts-extra, texlive-font-utils, texlive-pictures, \
         texlive-pstricks, texlive-publishers

And we need to check about

    169 MISSING-IN-TEXLIVE

There are couple of bst files, e.g. from ams, which might just be
obsolete, same for pstricks and omega stuff, and afm files, about which
I don't care.  But e.g.

- why has norbib been excluded from texlive?  It's license is not nice,
  but should be safe *at*least* for TeXlive, if not Debian?

- what about b-bb*.mf in the sauter directory?  Are they just sources
  for other files that *are* included?  If yes, shouldn't the sources be
  in TeXlive?

- what is bamstex, and why is it not in texlive?

In any case, these are either bugs in TeXlive or intended, and no reason
to change anything in the meta-package.

Comments?