From: Mike Bird <mgb@yosemite.net>
Subject: New texexec very confused
To: debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:52:30 -0700

The new ruby texexec is very confused.  The problem of output
defaulting to pdf instead of dvi has already been noted.  Here
are some additional problems:

Command:            texexec --output=dvips foo
Should produce:     foo.dvi
Actually produces:  foo.pdf
hm, i need to check that, maybe there is no dvips option
Command:            texexec --dvi foo
Should produce:     foo.dvi
Actually produces:  foo.dvi AND OVERWRITES foo.ps

--Mike Bird
that's because the backend is called as well (dvips) ; the latest version has a --nobackend option