Re: tex-common: Please provide dh_installtex functions for packages that need only mktexlsr

> Furthermore, dh_installtex checks for a list of texmf trees (/u/s/texmf,
> /u/s/texmf-texlive, /u/s/texmf-tetex, /v/l/texmf) whether they are
> present and IF yes, mktexlsr is called only for these trees. If none of
> it is present, NOTHING is added to the post{inst,rm} scripts.

I have already explained in another mail why I think this is a bad idea.

> Remove the autoscripts parts which are moved to postinst-texlsr
> Not that we ALSO move (!!!) the dhit_libkpathsea_configured which is
> used in the same postinst-tex snippet, but we are sure that IF the
> postinst-tex is included, also the postinst-texlsr is included, so the
> function will be defined.

Didn't check your code for this, but beware of the order in which
snippets appear in postinst and postrm.

> +# postinst snippets for calling maketexlsr
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
                                    mktexlsr... and also update-updmap,
                                    update-language and update-fmtutil...

> +# postrm-texlsr
> +#
> +# postinst snippets for calling mktexlsr
     ^^^^^^^^
      postrm

and also update-updmap, update-language and update-fmtutil...

> Now for the changes to dh_installtex:

Ugh, Perl stuff...

>  dh_installtex is a debhelper program that is responsible for
> -registering map files, new formats, and new languages with TeX.
> +updating the ls-R databases, registering map files, new formats,
> +and new languages with TeX.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't it really about hyphenation patterns?

> -In each of the three cases you can use three different methods to
> +If you only install file into /usr/share/texmf or some other TEXMF tree
                       ^^^^
                       files

> +and want to be sure that mktexlsr is called in a correct way (ie also
                                                                 ^^^^^^^
                                                                 e.g.,
> +in the postrm script if there is no functional mktexlsr), simply call
                        ^^
                       when

> +If you install files after the call to dh_installtex or you want to add
                       ^
         in the package build directory

> +Currently dh_installtex checks for /usr/share/texmf, /usr/share/texmf-texlive,
            ^
            ,

> +# find_used_texmf_trees($basedir)
> +# returns a list of trees under $basedir where files are installed
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I understood right, this is not quit true...

> +		# we got something, either a cmd line are for one of the
                                                      ^^^
                                                    argument?
> +		# config files, or a package file, or whatever, so
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                   Ah, that must be debian/foobar/maps...

> Now IF we have some tree present, we include the post{inst,rm}-texlsr
> snippet and replace #TEXMFTREES# with the trees.

I fear that, in addition to the problems caused by the partial mktexlsr
calls that I pointed out in my last mail (partial in that not all TEXMF
trees are scanned and updated), update-updmap and its friends won't be
called if nothing is found in the TEXMF trees. Hmmm? Because you moved
these calls to post{inst,rm}-texlsr and now, you're saying these
snippets are only included "IF we have some tree present".

(maybe in every real situation where update-updmap and friends are
needed, there is something in the TEXMF trees, but still...)

--
Florent