Re: tex-common: Please provide dh_installtex functions for packages that need only mktexlsr

Hi Florent, hi all!

On Mon, 23 Okt 2006, Florent Rougon wrote:
> > Ok, this would be nice. And it could be implemented in the general case,
> > no? If we do it in the right order maybe also the calls to mktexlsr in
> > the other packages (with maps etc) only updated the right trees.
>
> Beware. First, this kind of optimization would bring very small gains in
> my setup. Second, it's dangerous: if you only refresh ls-R files for
> TEXMF trees where files are installed by the *latest* version of the
> package, you'll miss the necessary refreshing of TEXMF trees containing
> files from the *previous* version of the package. For instance, if the

According to the TeX policy files should anyway *ONLY* installed into
/usr/share/texmf, and we, ie teTeX and TeX live maintainers have to take
care and know about the problems.

And in MY setup it would bring a HUGE speedup, because building the ls-R
DB for /usr/share/texmf-texlive takes quite long, even if nothing has
changed and only files have been added to /usr/share/texmf...

Maybe we should add a comment to the manpage that if you had old files
in a *different* texmf tree you should add the OLD tree to the
mktexlsr-ed ones via the command line...???

What do you think?

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
Arthur said, "So which way do I go?"
"Down, " said Fenchurch, "on this occasion."
He moved his hand.
"Down, " she said, "is in fact the other way. "
"Oh yes."