Re: tex-common: Please provide dh_installtex functions for packages that need only mktexlsr

Hi Florent!

On Die, 24 Okt 2006, Florent Rougon wrote:
> > Furthermore, dh_installtex checks for a list of texmf trees (/u/s/texmf,
> > /u/s/texmf-texlive, /u/s/texmf-tetex, /v/l/texmf) whether they are
> > present and IF yes, mktexlsr is called only for these trees. If none of
> > it is present, NOTHING is added to the post{inst,rm} scripts.
>
> I have already explained in another mail why I think this is a bad idea.

I got the idea of the problem, but I think the addition of a paragraph
to the man page should be enough. People (besides teTeX/TeX Live
maintainers) should *ONLY* install into /usr/share/texmf

> Didn't check your code for this, but beware of the order in which
> snippets appear in postinst and postrm.

If debhelper keeps the order in which the snippets are called (which I
am quite sure), then nothing should happen:

texlsr:
	update-*
	mktexlsr

tex:
	fmtutil creation,
	updmap-sys call
		(all of them updated the mktexlsr DBs for files created!)

[loads of useful stuff deleted]

> I fear that, in addition to the problems caused by the partial mktexlsr
> calls that I pointed out in my last mail (partial in that not all TEXMF
> trees are scanned and updated), update-updmap and its friends won't be
> called if nothing is found in the TEXMF trees. Hmmm? Because you moved
> these calls to post{inst,rm}-texlsr and now, you're saying these
> snippets are only included "IF we have some tree present".
>
> (maybe in every real situation where update-updmap and friends are
> needed, there is something in the TEXMF trees, but still...)

Hmm, you are right, at least partly. But it is true that in most cases
(in fact I cannot imagine the case where it is not happening) IF we have
to call one of the update-* scripts, then also something HAS to be
installed into /usr/share/texmf.

Another option would be to call something IF a file was installed into
/var/lib/tex-common/* where the list files are stored.

But now, what do all of you think? Should we follow this path or not? I
don't mind throwing out the whole mktexlsr-magic code, and leave only
the separation between mktexlsr and the rest-magic in there, so that an
empty dh_installtex just calls
	mktexlsr
in the right way.

Frank, it was your bug report, what is your opinion?

Finally, we could of course take the attitude: The behaviour of
dh_installtex is documented in the man page, if you have some
specialities that cannot be covered by dh_installtex, please report or
do it yourself without dh_installtex ...

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
HODDLESDEN (n.)
An 'injured' footballer's limb back into the game which draws applause
but doesn't fool anybody.