Re: Elementary tasks in need for *tex?

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi, Norbert!
>
> On Jul 08 2006, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> Hi Rogério!
>> On Fre, 07 Jul 2006, Rogério Brito wrote:
>> > and hope that they get interested!), what exactly is the work that
>> > currently needs to be done, but that could be achieved by a novice? The
>> > so-called "janitorial" tasks are ok.
>>
>> Work on the test-bed? A testing system for new versions would be good.
>
> Good. Is there any test-bed that is already being formed or would it be
> written from scratch?

There a couple of LaTeX packages that include some package-specific
test-bed.  One I know of is KOMA-Skript (but not the version on CTAN,
the current release is so far only on
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/koma-script3/).  One other is
alnumsec, but I didn't upload the testsuite.  You can grab it from
http://people.debian.org/~frank/alnumsec.tar.gz

One thread with lots of relevant points starts at

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2006-March/002153.html

> What about the packaging for Debian of texlive? What about checking
> licences of files? I would have to teach them the importance of
> licences, the different ones etc.

Checking licenses of files would be a great thing.  We would really
appreciate help in this area.  It's not a typical kind of work, though.
On the other hand, it's not just legalese: You have to know a bit about
how (La)TeX packages are organized, where to find sources - and in some
cases you can show your skills in digging up people in the internet who
have long stopped doing any TeX work...

I've already started a Wiki page about that, hoping to find people who
help.  It's at http://wiki.debian.org/LicenseAuditing and can serve as a
starting point, also to the more technical bits of information.

> The idea would be to document how the work on a Free Software Project
> actually happens.

Then they should also subscribe to debian-legal ;-) to see some nice
flamewars, trolls, etc...

Debian Developer (teTeX)