Re: Problems with PDF creation

"W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

>> bugs against dblatex before I could even start investigating, one of
>> which is upstream-related and shows their small understanding of current
>> LaTeX.  I won't go deeper into this, since my primary concern are teTeX
>> and TeXLive themselves.
>
> In my (stupid end user only) experience with LaTeX is, that
> it is very hard to generate error-free LaTeX code from other
> (e.g. DocBook XML) input. One reason is, that one cannot
> assume anything. E.g. I cannot just innocently use certain
> characters or LaTeX commands, because one or the other
> language style might have changed its meaning.

Yes, this is true; it requires a lot of knowledge of how LaTex is used
with the language you are trying.

> Another
> reason: I cannot use easily any UTF-8 coded character,
> instead I have to make sure, that they all belong to the same
> font etc. Maybe these things are difficult to handle for the
> dblatex and db2latex-xsl people.

Well, but this is a general problem, isn't it?  You have to specifiy a
font for each character, and if you want to use a character that is not
in the current font, there has to be some rule which other one to take.

By the way, have you tried xmltex?  I don't know anything about its
features or usability; the only thing I know is that its author is a
very active member of the Tex community and probably quite up-to-date
with respect to LaTeX, pdfTeX etc.  The same is not true for the authors
of dblatex or db2latex-xsl, they frequently have been "caught"
generating obsolete code...

Debian Developer (teTeX)