Re: Problems with PDF creation

Quoting Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>:
> Well, I started looking into this because of the claim in -devel that
> generating PDF is hard, and I thought this was about specific problems

No, I do a lot of stuff with pdflatex and I'm fine with
it, as long as I manually produce the input and the input
is in a Central/Western European language.

> with pdfTeX or the way teTeX-3.0 uses it.  It turned out that it just
> means that dblatex/docbook/whatever is immature; I "had to" submit three

I agree: dblatex is relatively new and needs to "grow (up)",
db2latex-xsl is buggy and not maintained upstream. I'm still
looking for the "perfect" solution to generate PDF from
DocBook XML, either via LaTeX or any other way. Currently
most tools fail at multi-lingual (CJK, RTL, ...) input.

> bugs against dblatex before I could even start investigating, one of
> which is upstream-related and shows their small understanding of current
> LaTeX.  I won't go deeper into this, since my primary concern are teTeX
> and TeXLive themselves.

In my (stupid end user only) experience with LaTeX is, that
it is very hard to generate error-free LaTeX code from other
(e.g. DocBook XML) input. One reason is, that one cannot
assume anything. E.g. I cannot just innocently use certain
characters or LaTeX commands, because one or the other
language style might have changed its meaning. Another
reason: I cannot use easily any UTF-8 coded character,
instead I have to make sure, that they all belong to the same
font etc. Maybe these things are difficult to handle for the
dblatex and db2latex-xsl people.

Cheers, WB