Re: [Fwd: Old ConTeXt with new LModern fonts]

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 21:30 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

> adding the symlinks is ok;

Thanks. Frank, Norbert, I will create a list of necessary links for
the lmodern package.

> it will also serve users who have been using lm
> <.93 in other packages (not that many i guess);

Indeed. Any DVI file created with the old fonts would otherwise use
(wrongly encoded) cmr10 for everything. With the links in place, users
should only get warning messages about nonmatching TFM cecksums. And
since lmodern v0.92 is part of the last stable Debian release, there
will be probably quite a few DVI files like this untill the next release
(not before the end of this year).

> some names of encoding and
> map files were changed at an unfortunate moment (around freeze of tex live)
> and the same is true for the iwona and antykwa-torunska and kurier fonts;
> if they are included in tetex at some point users may be affected as well
> (but those fonts are not the widely used)

Antykwa Torunska is part of teTeX 3.0 with the old cork-* TFM names. But
since it is not in a separate package, we won't update it. IIRC the
other two fonts where released after teTeX 3.0 was released.

> btw, the next couple of years quite some new and extended fonts will show
> up and the latin modern served as a testcase for that, so in a way it's not
> that bad that the problems surfaced now

That sounds very interesting indeed.

cheerio
ralf