Re: Future versions of teTeX, and TeXlive as a replacement

On Thu June 1 2006 08:53, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 16:21 -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > On Tue May 30 2006 13:29, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > > Can you provide us
> > > with a list of packages that are used my LyX? That would be helpful.
> >
> > Sure. The following is a quick'n'dirty cut'n'paste (from
> > LyX::Help->LaTeX Configuration) of stuff LyX expects is available from
> > CTAN (dvipost aside). Q'n'D in that it was made without regard to if they
> > are in Debian or which .deb they currently reside in.
>
> Thanks a lot. Many of the listed things are indeed "base" in the sense
> that any LaTeX should (sometimes even must) have them installed. There
> are some exceptions, though
> (slightly reordered):
ditto

<...>
> I don't know these three classs.
> > macros/latex/contrib/mwcls/

"Notes: These document classes provide different versions of the base
LaTeX document classes article, report and book. They have been adapted
to polish typesetting standards by Marcin Woliñski."

from the mwcls README.txt:
"Files in this bundle may be distributed and/or modified under the
conditions of the LaTeX Project Public License, either version 1.2
of this license or (at your option) any later version."

I could see this in Debian (if a Polish writer who wants to maintain it
comes along) as its own package, so it can be picked up by any "polish"
meta-packages.

> > macros/latex/contrib/paper/

"Notes: The document class paper provides an alternative to the standard
article class. It provides similar functionality, but you might prefer
this layout with sans serif sections, headings, and more."

This one is GPL v1 or later.

If this gets packaged it should be in the base, same reason as
with algorithm.sty.

> > macros/latex/contrib/aguplus

"Notes: The document class jgrga can be used to write articles for the
Journal of Geophysical Research, published by the American Geophysical
Union."

%% This program can be redistributed and/or modified under the terms
%% of the LaTeX Project Public License Distributed from CTAN
%% archives in directory macros/latex/base/lppl.txt; either
%% version 1 of the License, or any later version.

So,
> Special classes for certain journals. Not "base" in my book. Are these
> even in teTeX?

ya. dunno/care. This type of class should get its own package?

> I guess it will be best if most of these things work with "base" TeX
> packages, while LyX can suggest further TeX packages for other things.

ya

<...>
> We haven't yet decided what to do with teTeX. And I  wouldn't like the
> situation where, eg, LyX would depend on the 100M texlive-latex-extra
> just to get algorithm.sty.

Is Debian the first to tackle a tetex-texlive co-existence or transition?

- Bruce