Re: Trouble about tetex-base installation & babel

Emmanuel PROCHASSON <eprochasson@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using a fresh ubuntu/dapper distribution, and i have some trouble
> about tex/latex, babel and hyphenation.
>
> I installed tetex-base (3.0-15build1) and it seem you are the
> mainteners of this one :)

Well, of course not: We are Debian maintainers, while your package is
from Ubuntu.  However, I'm not aware of any substantial changes between
our package and theirs, so I hope we'll be able to help you.

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
> entering extended mode
> (./lettre_cifre.tex
> LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
> babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for loaded.
> ---
>
> I think there should be something after the "hyphenation patterns for...".

You think right...

> This is the first time i have this kind of problem. I tried removing
> everything about tex/latex (with --purge option with apt-get) and
> reinstalling, but it is the same.

Probably there's a bad language.dat file in your (root's?) home
directory.  What's the output of

kpsewhich language.dat

after you have become root the same way you use for installing packages?
And what is (now as the user who has the problems reported, not as root)
the output of

kpsewhich latex.fmt

> I might be wrong, but i think the problem come from the distribution
> package, since i dont have any problem elsewhere (and someone on
> ubuntu-fr answered he has exactly the same error).

It would be interesting to get the same information from "bobuse".

Debian Developer (teTeX)