Re: old cruft in PS fonts directories

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 17:56 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, 'ls -lt /usr/share/texmf-tetex/fonts/{vf,tfm}/adobe/palatino/' does
> > give some really old files indeed. Looking at, say, pplr.vf I see as
> > first line
> [...]
> > I don't know if these fonts have any real use in teTeX.
>
> I think we should generally try to sort this out.  I'd like to start
> with TeXLive's tpm files for the base fonts and check for every file in
> there
>
> - whether it is available anywhere on CTAN (unpacked or in an archive)
>
> - whether we have a license, and it's free.
>
> After that, we need a general decision which fonts should be included in
> TeX distributions, and which not.

This is a tremendous amount of work, but most likely, it is the only
viable way to find out what's in the TEXMF tree, where it came from and
what's supposed to be in there. However, this will probably mean that a
large portion of the files in the TEXMF tree have to be individually
listed in tetex-{base,extra}.install. Maintaining such large, flat lists
would be difficult. Would it be possible to use the tpm files for that?
Ie, instead of listing files and directories, we would only list tppm
files for base and extra respectively. Some script could then create the
.install files based on this information.

cheerio
ralf