Re: improving cm-super package

> Dear Norbert, dear Frank!

Thank you for your comments on my suggestion.

> Thanks a lot for the comments, but wouldn't it be better if you would
> have contacted me as the cm-super maintainer directly?
Sorry.

> > the new cm-super package from a Debian repository will have teTeX 3.0
> I think Frank is completely right here. It is really straight-forward
> and easy:
> tetex2/woody: use pts-tetex-cm-super, the old package
> tetex3/etch+: use cm-super
> I thought about incorporating tetex2 compatibility, but it showed as
> useless.
> Currently sarge is stable where you can use pts-tetex-cm-super.
Okay, I understand. pts-tetex-cm-super does not work on stable without changes
though.

> One final question to Klaus: What is the problem you try to solve?
> Is it:
> - run stable=sarge with tetex2 and new cm-super fonts?
> - make a package that can be used everywhere under the same name?
> - ...?
The whole story: The original pts-tetex-cm-super package does not work on
stable, because it does not use the update-updmap scheme. Therefore, I once
converted the package to use it. This was in times before cm-super was
included in testing.
Recently I contacted the CTAN package maintainer and asked if he wanted to
include my changes. He wanted the package to work on any tetex version, but I
didn't know if that was the right thing to do and how exactly to do it, so I
wanted to consult the experts, i.e. you. Right then I noticed the new
cm-super package in testing. And I was wondering if (i) I could help
improving the cm-super package and (ii) learn from your implementation.

I think I'll just use tetex 3 and the new cm-super, then everything is solved.

One final question: What do you think of my other idea, to blank the archive
to save disk space, e.g. by
:> cm-super.t1c
after installation?

All the best,