Re: improving cm-super package

Dear Klaus, dear Frank!

Thanks a lot for the comments, but wouldn't it be better if you would
have contacted me as the cm-super maintainer directly?

Anyway ...

On Mit, 26 Apr 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> the new cm-super package from a Debian repository will have teTeX 3.0

I think Frank is completely right here. It is really straight-forward
and easy:

tetex2/woody: use pts-tetex-cm-super, the old package
tetex3/etch+: use cm-super

I thought about incorporating tetex2 compatibility, but it showed as
useless.

Currently sarge is stable where you can use pts-tetex-cm-super.

If you want newer cm-super fonts, then you probably also want newer TeX
system, so either install tetex3 from backports.org together with
cm-super, or texlive (if there will ever be a backport of it).

> available.  Therefore the only people who would benefit from this are
> the ones who run sarge without backports, take cm-super from CTAN and
> build a Debian package from it.

Completely right.

> The current debian directory is actually a good example why it is a bad
> idea:  The packages installs /usr/bin/t1c2pfb, and it had no reason not

Read, "the current debian directory provided by upstream"

One final question to Klaus: What is the problem you try to solve?
Is it:
- run stable=sarge with tetex2 and new cm-super fonts?
- make a package that can be used everywhere under the same name?
- ...?

So I am also opposing this idea, and I think upstream really does not
have to care for the debian packaging, this is what I will care for.

Anyway, thanks for taking your time and suggestion this, and all the
best

LLANELLI (adj.)
Descriptive of the waggling movement of a person's hands when shaking
water from them or warming up for a piece of workshop theatre.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff