Re: let's register tetex docs with doc-base!

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> I thus started from the tetex documentation guide
> (/usr/share/doc/texmf/index.html) writing a .doc-base file for each
> piece of documentation deserving (of course IMHO) to be registered with
> doc-base.
>
> I stopped at the 7th :-(, there are really too much of them.

I never use doc-base, therefore I didn't touch this so far, sorry.

> Of course not all documentation mentioned on the tetex documentation
> guide are worth registration. I for example arbitrarly choose not to
> register every single latex package, but still there are a lot of them
> to be registered. The TODO list (IMO) is in the attached TODO.doc-base
> file.

The other alternative would be to only register teTeX's base documents,
or should we say "documentation entry points", namely
/usr/share/texmf/doc/index.html,
/usr/share/texmf/doc/helpindex.html,
/usr/share/texmf/doc/texdoc.php, and
/usr/share/texmf/doc/tetex/TETEXDOC.pdf.gz?

But *if* we go for registering most of the documents, this probably
means looking at them an checking whether they are suitable as user
documentation.  In that case, the people doing this should take the
opportunity and also check the license and source availability of the
document - there are many with unclear status, see #345604

Debian Developer (teTeX)