Re: tetex-base_2.0.2c-8sarge1_i386.changes REJECTED from proposed-updates

Debian Installer <installer@ftp-master.debian.org> wrote:

> Your package was rejected by an ftp master on behalf of
> Martin (Joey) Schulze <joey@debian.org>, if you have any questions or
> comments regarding this rejection, please address them to him as we
> can't help you.
>
> The reason given for rejection was:
>
> Rejected from 3.1r1 on behalf of the Stable Release Manager.  For more
> details, see http://people.debian.org/~joey/3.1r1/

I have talked about this with Joey before he rejected it, and finally we
agreed that it's better that way.  The problem is that users with
affected systems (i.e. with ro /usr/local) will experience a failed
preinst script, anyway:  As it is currently, while upgrading from sarge
to etch, with the update during the update from sarge r0 to sarge r1.

So this upload is no solution.  It is technically possible to have a
solution, namely to put a new version into sarge that gracefully handles
the problem when its prerm is called as "<new-prerm> failed-upgrade
<old-version>".

However, Joey seems to have the opinion not to accept upgrades to stable
which have the only purpose of fixing RC bugs that manifest during the
dist-upgrade to stable+1.  Before doing any coding, this needs to be
discussed (on -release or wherever).  But we're not in a hurry.