Re: tetex-bin description

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Frank Küster wrote:

This is the binary part of teTeX. This package contains all the
programs belonging to teTeX, i.e. the TeX compiler itself, and
variants for formats like e-TeX, pdfTeX, LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, etc.

because in fact LaTeX and pdfLaTeX aren't compilers (if that's the right
word, anyway), but just formats using tex or pdftex.  I didn't want to
use the TeXnical word "engine", but I'd be glad if someone comes up with
a description that is both technically correct and understandable for
complete newbies.

That wording sounds sensible to me, as a machine admin who doesn't actually use the tools himself (therefore, effective newbie). Thanks. -Daniel