Re: tetex-bin description

On 07.12.05 Daniel Allen (drallen@cs.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:

Hi,

> I'd like to offer a tetex-bin control file change to make finding
> laTeX tools easier.  The description currently says:
>
> "This package contains all the
>  programs belonging to teTeX, i.e. the (La)TeX compiler itself, and
>  variants like pdf(La)TeX, e-TeX etc."
>
> A change to:
>
> "varients like pdfTeX, pdfLaTeX, e-TeX, etc."
>
> would mean users could 'apt-cache search pdflatex' and find the
> package.  As it was, I didn't remember pdflatex was part of the
> core LaTex package, and couldn't find that information without
> access to another machine that already had the package installed by
> somebody else.

Hmm, Frank changed it meanwhile. I'd have rather suggested to use
tools like "apt-file" to search for files in packages, which are not
installed. IMHO it is very impractical to put the names of all
contained programs into the package description.

H.
--
True to our past we work with an inherited, observed, and accepted vision of
personal futility, and of the beauty of the world.