Re: tetex-bin description

Daniel Allen <drallen@cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to offer a tetex-bin control file change to make finding
> laTeX tools easier.  The description currently says:
>
> "This package contains all the
>   programs belonging to teTeX, i.e. the (La)TeX compiler itself, and
>   variants like pdf(La)TeX, e-TeX etc."
>
> A change to:
>
> "varients like pdfTeX, pdfLaTeX, e-TeX, etc."

Thanks for the suggestion. I went a bit further and changed it to

 This is the binary part of teTeX. This package contains all the
 programs belonging to teTeX, i.e. the TeX compiler itself, and
 variants for formats like e-TeX, pdfTeX, LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, etc.

because in fact LaTeX and pdfLaTeX aren't compilers (if that's the right
word, anyway), but just formats using tex or pdftex.  I didn't want to
use the TeXnical word "engine", but I'd be glad if someone comes up with
a description that is both technically correct and understandable for
complete newbies.