Re: texinfo/info packages and TeX live

> On Don, 18 Aug 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
>> >    * sources based on TeX live source, version 4.8
>> >      (Closes: #320413, #181793, #205022, #204202, #221988, #261742, #277754)
>>
>>      I'd write something here that indicates that this doesn't mean that
>>      the code has been forked, but rather that texlive took it from
>>      texinfo upstream (or Karl pushed it to texlive), and you sliced it
>>      out of the big source tarball.
>
> In fact it should be based on the original source code. But in texlive
> there are some further changes (at least I thought that)

This is surprising, since Karl Berry contributes to both projects.  Does
he regard the texlive archive as the main place now?

Anyway, if there are source differences to
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo/texinfo-4.8.tar.gz, they should be
indicated at least in some changelog file, if not in the version number
(like changing it to 4.8.texlive1)

>>      * bumped Standards-Version to 3.6.2.1 (...changes...)

You've seen this suggestion?

>> - why are the files moved from /usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo to its
>>   subdirectory base, in debian/rules?
>
> Hmm, wanting to have order. At least in texlive it is like this that
> way:
> 	progname/base	contains the base files
> 	progname/config	configuration stuff (like .ini files etc)

I have no objection.  But then this change should be pushed upstream, too.