Re: Coordinating upload of teTeX-3.0 to unstable

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:49:16PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
>> >
>> > I can try to build all those for you if you want, and I'll report
>> > those where I think that show problems.
>>
>> That would be great.  I think most of the problems will show up in
>> failed builds, some might result in different filelists (pdf file
>> generated instead of dvi file, but somehow the build does not fail), a
>> small number might result in wrong fonts being used.
>
> I started with everything build depending on tetex-*.  Here is an
> overview of packages which might have problems.  Note that I have
> no clue what some of those message mean.

I have, in some cases.  Do you have build logs available somewhere?

> Those really failed to build:
> - bison-1.35
>   dvips bison.dvi -o bison.ps
>   This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
>   dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.

This is most probably a buggy document (or stylefile) that has a wrong
test for pdf output, and produces pdf instead of dvi if the TeX engine
understands \pdfoutput, even if it has carefully been set to 0.

> - ctie
>   Unmet build dependencies: libkpathsea-dev (>= 2.0.2-1)

Errors like that are delibarate - the library has changed considerably,
and is now called libkpathsea4-dev in order to force maintainers to
really test their packages.

> - dvipdfmx: does not make it's documentation?
> - freetype1: Does not generate documentation?

This could point to the same pdf-instead-of-dvi problem, this time as
intermediate files, together with a broken build system that doesn't
notice that it failed...

> Some have the combination of:
>   ** menu entry without previous node: License (l. 98)
>   ** node_prev `Top' for `License' not found
>   ** `Distrib' doesn't appear in menus
> (am-utils, esh, fdutils)

That's most probably just a bug in the texinfo sources, nothing that has
been triggered by the version change of teTeX.

> Should I worry about messages like:
> Underfull \hbox (badness 2368)
> Overfull \hbox (21.3942pt too wide)

Not at all - that's just a warning about bad line breaking, and for sure
not dependent on the version.

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmtt/m/n' undefined

Most probably irrelevant and not version-dependent

> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec-cblash' on page 7 undefined on input line 452.

Minor relevance and not version-dependent

> ** `XXX' doesn't appear in menus:

No idea, but I wouldn't bother too much.

> This was the list of everything directly build depending on it,
> and I'll do one with the indirect build dependencies soon.

Thank you for your great work!