Re: teteX-TeXLive interoperability

Hi Frank!

On Fre, 25 Nov 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> > The problem is that *some* texlive packages mix binaries with tex input
> > files, so this would not allow a parallel installation.
> >
> > Or do we go for update-alternatives?
>
> I would proceed like this:
>
> - First move the files to TEXMFDIST

done in the svn depot for the next version of scripts.

Did you take a look at the tex-common changes? Or is it better that I
submit the changes to the svn depot directly?

> - Start removing conflicts in packages that only provide TeX input
>   files, thus allowing parallel installation and usage

is on my TODO list.

> - Only after that (or if first user requests come in), think about
>   packages that involve executables.  Whether we would use
>   update-alternatives then, or some other mechanism can be decided later
>   on.

Ok.

> It seems to me as if we would have plenty of time before we actually
> have to care about that last issue, since the really important points to

Perfect with me. ATM there is one obstacle I have to overcome: The new
queue ;-) At least the packages are there, but maybe I did make a stupid
error: I didn't close the ITP bug, I thought I will do this with the
first upload to unstable. Should it be this way, or should the ITP be
closed also when I upload to experimental.

> address are the maintainer scripts, to allow smooth changing from one
> system to the other.

texlive packages do more or less this, they should work smoothly with
transition:
. all the conf files are in /etc/texmf/texlive
. postrm removes all format/log files and regenerates formats if
  necessary

But again, I haven't actually tested this ...

AFFCOT (n.)
The sort of fart you hope people will talk after.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff