Re: [Matthias Faulstich] Re: Installation /Configuration Problem with tetex

Am Montag, 14. November 2005 10:31 schrieb Frank Küster :
> Matthias Faulstich <faulstich@elon07.fh-swf.de> wrote:
> > Yes, I have. I can't rememeber why, but I have set it a long time ago.
> > Anyway, it was set during the time, latex ran without problems.
>
> I also have it set, but in a way that the directories are appended to
> the old settings, and do not replace them:
>
> export TEXINPUTS=$TEXINPUTS:./bilder
>
> You can continue to things like this, but don't completely replace it.
>
> > So, after
> > unset TEXINPUTS
> > and
> > echo $TEXINPUTS
> > returns an empty line,
> > latex still cannot compile:
> >
> > mfai1:/home/matthias/tmp# latex tests.tex
> > This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
> > kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
> >
> > Warning: fmtutil is being run as root; fmtutil-sys should probably be
> > used instead.  If this is done by a Debian package upon installation,
> > upgrade, or removal, please file a bug against that package.
> >
> > fmtutil-sys: fmtutil-sys: unknown option `latex.fmt'. Try fmtutil-sys
> > --help for help.
> > I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
> >
> > So this should not be the problem.
>
> Yes and no - it's a different bug; fmtutil-sys is crippled (compared to
> upstream) and can only be used with options --byfmt or --missing or
> --all, as we do in the postinst.
>
> You should run
>
> dpkg --configure -a
Bingo!!!!
I really cannot imagine why, but that helped.

Since I wrote my request for help on 10/28, I made 2 dist-upgrades and a
complete
dpkg --purge and
atp-get install
on all tetex packages, but apparently there still were some outstanding
configuring tasks.
Very strange!

Thank you very much for your intense effort.
I think, that solution would never be occurred to me.

Kind Regards
Matthias