Re: [Matthias Faulstich] Re: Installation /Configuration Problem with tetex

Matthias Faulstich <faulstich@elon07.fh-swf.de> wrote:

> Yes, I have. I can't rememeber why, but I have set it a long time ago. Anyway,
> it was set during the time, latex ran without problems.

I also have it set, but in a way that the directories are appended to
the old settings, and do not replace them:

export TEXINPUTS=$TEXINPUTS:./bilder

You can continue to things like this, but don't completely replace it.

> So, after
> unset TEXINPUTS
> and
> echo $TEXINPUTS
> returns an empty line,
> latex still cannot compile:
>
> mfai1:/home/matthias/tmp# latex tests.tex
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
>
> Warning: fmtutil is being run as root; fmtutil-sys should probably be
> used instead.  If this is done by a Debian package upon installation,
> upgrade, or removal, please file a bug against that package.
>
> fmtutil-sys: fmtutil-sys: unknown option `latex.fmt'. Try fmtutil-sys --help
> for help.
> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>
> So this should not be the problem.

Yes and no - it's a different bug; fmtutil-sys is crippled (compared to
upstream) and can only be used with options --byfmt or --missing or
--all, as we do in the postinst.

You should run

dpkg --configure -a

(or, if all tetex packages somehow got marked as properly configured,
dpkg-reconfigure tetex-bin).  This will create the formats properly.