Re: tetex-base splitting

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:15 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Translated:
>
> Furthermore the dependency on ConTeXt is unfortunate.  pdftex(.def) and
> AFAIK Metapost are unuseable without ConTeXt, even for the other
> formats.

AFAIK this refers to

/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex

which are needed for including MetaPost output directly with pdfTeX.
If ConTeXt where moved to tetex-extra, users installing only
tetex-base and tetex-bin would not be able to do this. However,
currently the MetaPost format is only generated when tetex-extra is
installed. I don't know any other program than MetaPost producing this
limited subset of PostScript, so I think users without tetex-extra would
not be able to include files which they can't produce in the first
place. Looks ok to me.

NB: SuSE got that wrong in version 9.3. One can install MetaPost without
these files from ConTeXt ...

cheerio
ralf