Re: tetex-base splitting

Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is an important thing to remember when we try to minimize tetex-base:
>
> From: Plamen Tanovski <pgt@arcor.de>
[...]
> Auch die Abhängigkeit von ConTeXt finde ich nicht begrüssenswert.
> pdftex(.def), und AFAIK Metapost sind ohne ConTeXt nicht mehr, auch für
> die anderen Formate, benutzbar.

Translated:

Furthermore the dependency on ConTeXt is unfortunate.  pdftex(.def) and
AFAIK Metapost are unuseable without ConTeXt, even for the other
formats.

Indeed in pdftex.def we have:

% Graphic inclusion. Currently supports .tif, .png, .jpg, .mps and .pdf inclusion;
% .mps is MetaPost output.
% .mps inclusion depends on loading a CONTEXT module by Hans Hagen;
% .pdf also needs a Context module unless pdftex 0.12n or later.

We are at "or later" ;-), but the mps thing is probably still true.  I
haven't checked the code, though.